Some clarification of the Perth Group’s contributions to “HIV”/AIDS debate
It appears that there is some lack of understanding in regard to the contributions made by the Perth Group to the “HIV”/AIDS Dissident Movement. We wish to clarify some of the apparent misunderstandings, principally for those who may be new to the debate and may be confused by the amalgam of ideas, points of view as well as their origins and authorships
In 1981 high frequencies of KS, PCP and a few other opportunistic infections were diagnosed in gay men. Between 1981 and 1984 many researchers proposed a number of causative agents. These included infectious agents such as Epstein-Barr virus, cytomegalovirus, nitrites and other drugs and antibodies to semen. The cause(s) of what became known as AIDS in other risk groups was largely ignored. In 1983 Montagnier’s group claimed the discovery of a virus presently known as “HIV” and in 1984 Gallo’s group claimed that “HIV” is the cause of AIDS.
With two exceptions (namely, Eleni Papadopulos-Eleopulos and Peter Duesberg), the claim that “HIV” is the cause of AIDS was widely accepted.
The Perth Group (EP-E) was the first to:
1. put forward a theory of AIDS causation which incorporated all the risk groups (gay men, haemophiliacs, drug users, transfusion recipients). According to this theory AIDS is not caused by a single agent. The theory asserted that the main causative agents are semen (sperm), nitrites and other recreational drugs as well as prescribed drugs such as Factor VIII, antibiotics and steroids. By 1985, when AIDS was diagnosed in Africa, the theory claimed that the main causes were the sequelae of poverty.
2. claim that the mechanism by which the above-named agents caused AIDS is by oxidation (The Oxidative Theory of AIDS). The theory predicted that:
(a) the tissues of AIDS patients will be oxidised;
(b) AIDS can be prevented and reversed by cessation of exposure to oxidising agents and treatment by anti-oxidants.
3. claim that neither Montagnier et al, Gallo et al nor anybody else have isolated/purified “HIV”. That is, they have never proved the existence of “HIV” and thus “HIV” RNA, proteins and antibodies. The phenomena which are said to prove the existence of “HIV” are the result of the oxidative agents to which the patients as well as the cultures are subjected. It was further claimed that this phenomena can be prevented and reversed by anti-oxidants. As far back as 1984, EP-E proposed a collaborative study with AIDS experts to prove this claim. This proposal was rejected.
The first time we attempted to publish our views (“HTLV-III/LAV has never been isolated…HTLV-III/LAV has been never isolated in fresh AIDS-tissues…seropositivity does not mean virus positivity… the one major variable is the concurrent exposure of the patients to oxidising agents including sperm, nitrites, opiates and factor VIII… prevention and possible cure may be achieved with the use of appropriate antioxidants”) was in a paper sent to Nature in early 1986 entitled “Reappraisal of AIDS: Is the oxidation induced by the risk factors the primary cause?” After two rejections by Nature and one by Medical Hypotheses, the paper was ultimately published in Medical Hypotheses in 1988.
Since then the Perth Group has published numerous papers containing basic, detailed data in support of our oxidative theory of “HIV”/AIDS. In fact, we still remain, to this day, to be the only ones (including scientists and dissidents) who have published in scientific journals:
(a) evidence which shows that “HIV” has never been isolated / purified (that is, the existence of “HIV”, “HIV” proteins, “HIV” antibodies and “HIV” RNA (genome) has not been proven);
(b) evidence to support an alternative explanation for the apparent relationship between a positive antibody test and the development of AIDS;
(c) evidence that the in vitro and in vivo phenomena which define the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, are the result of oxidation induced by well-defined oxidising agents to which the cultures and the patients in the AIDS risk groups are subjected;
If anyone is of the opinion that what we have stated is wrong we will be grateful for any corrections using documented evidence. On the other hand, if what we have stated is correct, then anyone who either discusses or writes anything about the above stated topics must clearly state that we were the first to put forward these ideas and that we presented detailed basic scientific evidence to support our claims. This is not only for ethical reasons. It is our view that when people read original scientifically detailed papers they will get a much clearer picture regarding the facts. Otherwise distortions, misinterpretations, inconsistencies and superficial treatment of scientific facts result.
The Perth Group
PERTH GROUP PUBLICATIONS Scientific Press
1. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM, et al. Mother to Child Transmission of HIV and its Prevention with ATZ and Nevirapine. Perth: The Perth Group, 2001:204.
2. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM, Alfonso H, Page B, Causer D. Questions about results reported with potent antiretroviral therapy for human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2000; 181:1518-1519.
3. Papadopulos-Eleopopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM, Bialy H. AIDS in Africa: Distinguishing fact and fiction. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 1995; 11:135-143.
4. Papadopulos-Eleopopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM, Causer D. Factor VIII, HIV and AIDS in haemophiliacs: an analysis of their relationship. Genetica 1995; 95:25-50.
5. Papadopulos-Eleopopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM, Hedland-Thomas B, Causer D, Page B. A critical analysis of the HIV-T4-cell-AIDS hypothesis. Genetica 1995; 95:5-24.
6. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E. A Mitotic Theory. Journal of Theoretical Biology 1982; 96:741-758.
7. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E. Reappraisal of AIDS: Is the oxidation caused by the risk factors the primary cause? Medical Hypotheses 1988; 25:151-162.
8. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Hedland-Thomas B, Causer DA, Dufty AP. An alternative explanation for the radiosensitization of AIDS patients. International Journal of Radiation Oncology and Biological Physics 1989; 17:695-697.
9. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Hedland-Thomas B, Causer DA, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM. Changes in thiols and glutamate as consequence of simian immunodeficiency virus infection. Lancet 1991; 338:1013-4.
10. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Turner VF, Causer DS, Papadimitriou JM. HIV transmission by donor semen. Lancet 1996; 347:190-1.
11. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM. Oxidative stress, HIV and AIDS. Research in Immunology 1992; 143:145-8.
12. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM. Kaposi's sarcoma and HIV. Medical Hypotheses 1992; 39:22-9.
13. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM. Has Gallo proven the role of HIV in AIDS? Emergency Medicine [Australia] 1993; 5:113-123.
14. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM. Is a positive Western blot proof of HIV infection? Bio/Technology 1993; 11:696-707.
15. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM, et al. Global voices on HIV/AIDS. Heterosexual transmission of HIV in Africa is no higher than anywhere else. British Medical Journal 2002; 324:1035.
16. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM, et al. A critique of the Montagnier evidence for the HIV/AIDS hypothesis. Medical Hypotheses 2004; 63:597-601.
17. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM, et al. High rates of HIV seropositivity in Africa-alternative explanation. International Journal of STD & AIDS 2003; 14:426-427.
18. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM, Causer D, Alphonso H, Miller T. A critical analysis of the pharmacology of AZT and its use in AIDS. Current Medical Research and Opinion 1999; 15:1s-45s.
19. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM, Causer D, Page BA. HIV antibody tests and viral load--more unanswered questions and a further plea for clarification. Current Medical Research and Opinion 1998; 14:185-6.
20. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM, Stewart G, Causer D. HIV antibodies: further questions and a plea for clarification. Current Medical Research and Opinion 1997; 13:627-34.
21. Turner VF. Reducing agents and AIDS--Why are we waiting? Medical Journal of Australia 1990; 153:502.
22. Turner VF. The HIV Western blot. Medical Journal of Australia 1994; 160:807-808.
23. Turner VF. Inactivation of HIV in factor VIII. Medical Journal of Australia 1998; 168:366.
24. Turner VF. HIV drug remains unproven without placebo trial. Nature 2005; 434:137.
25. Turner VF. Detection of acute HIV infections. New England Journal of Medicine 2005; 353:631-3; author reply 631-3.
PERTH GROUP PUBLICATIONS Magazines, Popular Press and Online
1. Papadopulos-Eleopopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM, Bialy H. The Haemophilia Connection. Continuum 1995; 3:17-19
2. Papadopulos-Eleopopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM, Causer D. Why no whole virus? Continuum 1997; 4:27-30
3. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E. Looking back on the oxidative stress theory of AIDS. Continuum 1998; 5:30-35
4. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Turner V, Papadimitriou J, Page B, Alfonso H, Causer D. Distinguishing between true and "official" HIV infection. BMJ Online 2003
5. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Turner VF. Deconstructing AIDS in Africa. The Independent Monthly 1994:50-51
6. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Turner VF. Reconstructing AIDS in Africa-Reply to Kaldor and Ashton. The Independent Monthly 1995; Feburary:23-24
7. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM. Virus Challenge. Continuum 1996; 4:24-27
8. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM, et al. HIV in South Africa. Brit Med J 2003
9. Papadopulos-Eleopulos E, Turner VF, Papadimitriou JM, Causer D. The Isolation of HIV: Has it really been achieved? Continuum 1996; 4:1s-24s
10. Turner VF. Where we have gone wrong? Continuum 1998; 5:38-44
11. Turner VF, McIntyre A. The Yin and Yang of HIV. NEXUS 1999; 6:29-36